Poor quality optic mounting screws

Having and issue with your Canik Firearm? Post your problem here for other members to assist with finding a resolution.
Bls72bmw

Poor quality optic mounting screws

Post by Bls72bmw » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Got my TP9SFx with Optic and mounted up the supplied Vortex optic.
A problem I had right away was that the Allen head optic mount screws were being rounded out by the supplied 2mm Allen wrench.

Anyone else have this issue?
The threads are fine. It is just the Allen head top of the screws that I can’t get proper 8.8in lb torque into before they round.

Anyone have a source for better torx screws?
Anyone else have this issue?

A call to Cemtury and they’re sending new screws but they’ll probably be the same.

In my mind this is the kind of quality control stuff one sees from a third world country of origin. The gun is great but some of the accessories....?
0 x

jonholl

Re: Poor quality optic mounting screws

Post by jonholl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:45 am

See my post of a few days ago, same problem.
For starters I'm using a quality wrench with the screws, fit & "lock up" is quite a bit better.
I too am interested in where to get better quality screws.
0 x

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Post by FrankW » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am

I would think Brownells has the screws you need if you know the size. Century should be able to tell you the size.

Frank
0 x

LT USN (Ret.)
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 7599
CF Member: 7599

Post by LT USN (Ret.) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am

Bls72bmw wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 pm
A problem I had right away was that the Allen head optic mount screws were being rounded out by the supplied 2mm Allen wrench.
As stated by jonholl, use a good quality Allen wrench. I toss all the "provided" Allen's and always use an Allen head from my Wheeler kit. I've had my Viper on/off many times and have not had an issue.
0 x
LT

Go Navy! Beat Army!

ImageImage

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:34 pm

FrankW wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am
I would think Brownells has the screws you need if you know the size. Century should be able to tell you the size.

Frank
Frank, read my previous post, Century stated they couldn't tell me the screw size because of some regulation. Sometime in the future I might hunt for some but not sure who would have the small metric screws on hand to try, jeweler??
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Same issue, totally stripped head, now permanently mounted (well, until I want to dedicate a few hours to getting it out).

How did you know it wa 8.8in lbs of torque?
0 x

Bls72bmw

Post by Bls72bmw » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm

A call to Century got me this answer- it’s flabbergasting! We are signing away our freedoms to the pending one world government...

Century arms rep”Sir, due to ITAR, aka the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, we are unable to tell you the scre size you need because this gun was made overseas’

Me ‘are you joking!? That’s ridiculous! Dumbest thing I ever heard. It’s an optic mounting screw- not a Stinger Missile’

Century Arms Rep ‘ yea, I’m serious, and I agree it’s silly, but I still can’t tel ya the size! It’s a UN Violation to tell you the size and pitch of the screw Used for your own legally purchased firearm. But I will tell you it’s a standard size you can probably find at a really good hardware store’

Fun fact;
I called Cajun Gun works suggesting they make and or market a Hex Head quality replacement screw. They politely told me it’s probably not gonna happen- but maybe we can find a aftermarket company to market these?
I’ll hit a hardware store in a few days and see what I learn. And somebody post info here’re please if they find out.
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Bls72bmw, be interested in what you find out.
0 x

NWCanik

Post by NWCanik » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:28 am

this is most likely what you need . A m3 x 10mm flat head screw.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-M3-x-10mm-F ... Desc=0%7C0
0 x

Lgaam
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:26 am

NWCanik wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:28 am
this is most likely what you need . A m3 x 10mm flat head screw.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-M3-x-10mm-F ... Desc=0%7C0
I don't have a horse in this race, but this sounds about right. There was a thread similar to this in the old forum and I think this was the size mentioned.
0 x