The forum will be down Sunday November 18th starting at 6pm for maintenance.

Taurus G2S?

General Discussion Section for All Makes and Models of Handguns and Rifles, including Aftermarket Accessories.
Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Taurus G2S?

Post by Janik » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 am

Curious if anyone has handled or purchased the G2S yet. With all the rave reviews, I've been tempted to pick up a PT111 since they can often be purchased for less than $200. Might be a decent "truck gun" if it's as reliable as people say they are. I noticed the single stack G2S but haven't seen much for reviews on it yet. I'm always looking for slimmed down carry pistol so it's now on my radar. As much as I love my P99c for carry, summer time it's a bit bulky. I know a lot of people own the original PT111 G2 and G2C, just looking for some real world feedback if anyone has the single stack now.
0 x

John_

Re: Taurus G2S?

Post by John_ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 am

I have owned a Taurus 709 Slim for about 1.5 years. It has proven to be a fine little pocket gun, 9mm single stack. Nice trigger and have never experienced a single problem with it to date.

But I purchased a new G2C and received it Friday. Gave a quick clean and lube and went to the local range to try it out. Had 3 FTEs out of approx 80 rounds, and the trigger has "a catch" in it. Hopefully the FTEs go away with more rounds and break in. My 709 Slim ran fine from day one.

My searching Fri night and Sat turned up some unsettling facts about Taurus. Their warranty is now one year only. And their CS is shaky. Taurus manufacturing is based in Brazil.
Here is a link to a Taurus forum, spend a little time reading for yourself before you purchase.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taur ... -problems/
1 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 am

I haven't even seen a G2s in person yet. From what I've seen, it seems like the grip is where it's been slimmed down. The slide doesn't seem to be that much thinner than on the double stack G2c.

Unfortunately, this is a heavily modded G2s, but here's a comparison alongside the double stack model that I have handled, but never shot:

1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:46 am

John_ wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 am
My 709 Slim ran fine from day one.
I may give more consideration to the Slim. My hope is my wife would want to carry it in her purse. She doesn't like the weight of all the guns I have, which keeps her from regularly carrying. I keep telling her to suck it up, her life may depend on it. But you know how that goes. The one she currently carries the most is a 38 hammerless revolver. Maybe I should just accept it and not push the issue.
1 x

keltex78
Founding Member #: 1616

Post by keltex78 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 am

The one I carry the most is a hammerless .38, nothing to be ashamed of there!
2 x

John_

Post by John_ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Janik wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:46 am
John_ wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 am
My 709 Slim ran fine from day one.
I may give more consideration to the Slim. My hope is my wife would want to carry it in her purse. She doesn't like the weight of all the guns I have, which keeps her from regularly carrying. I keep telling her to suck it up, her life may depend on it. But you know how that goes. The one she currently carries the most is a 38 hammerless revolver. Maybe I should just accept it and not push the issue.
I wouldn't push it, nothing wrong with the simplicity of a 5 shot .38 revolver. I still own one, in SS. No safety, no mags to rotate ever. Perfect foolproof handgun. Some quality expanding HPs, good to go.

I'd stay away from Taurus anything, especially for ur wife. Here is a Ruger LC9 for $273 delivered if you must. Small, light weight, and the Ruger warranty and reputation.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-3248-lc9s-9m ... rd-bl.html
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:39 pm

John_ wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:25 pm
I wouldn't push it, nothing wrong with the simplicity of a 5 shot .38 revolver.
I definitely like the simplicity of the revolver. No moving slide or hammer, just a rotating cylinder. Easy enough to shoot from inside the purse if need be. The more I think of it, since she's not much of a gun person, maybe the 38 revolver is the best choice for her. Sometimes I get that itch to buy a new gun and try to justify it, but in this case I should probably just let her carry what she's already familiar with. And of course it's simple to operate, especially in a high stress situation.
2 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:41 pm

I would not be afraid of the 111 G2. I do not know anything about the "s"?

The PT-111 turned out to be one of their better guns- its still in production. I see it as the best deal available in a lightweight double stack 9mm.
The Taurus 900's (steel), 800's (poly), and 92 family have been very good..... but most (not all) of their plastic guns were problematic.
1 x

John_

Post by John_ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Janik wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:39 pm
John_ wrote:
I definitely like the simplicity of the revolver. No moving slide or hammer, just a rotating cylinder. Easy enough to shoot from inside the purse if need be. The more I think of it, since she's not much of a gun person, maybe the 38 revolver is the best choice for her. Sometimes I get that itch to buy a new gun and try to justify it, but in this case I should probably just let her carry what she's already familiar with. And of course it's simple to operate, especially in a high stress situation.
Guys who frequent firearms forums all get "that itch", trust me. I don't know why but firearms are truly my passion, and my weakness all in one.
I have like 6 AR15s, different brands and diff calibers, the majority I assembled from quality parts. I know one guy who has 19 Colt AR15s alone. Some guys have "the sickness" worse than others. I mean I can only shoot one of em at a time. And I surely only need one to defend myself ever (ok, maybe two). I will never have 8 ARs, I just cannot justify it, nor really afford it.
I have too many pistols right now, by my logic.

I know another guy on another forum who has probably 6-7 thousand dollars in comp pistols alone. He'll tell ya guns are "his crack". Whatever floats ur boat...as long as it doesn't impact ur family life whatsoever, or put u in debt or spend cash u simply cannot afford.
2 x

Tejas Products
Supporting Vendor

Post by Tejas Products » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Have 3 of the G2's here. Absolutely great shooters. I have noticed they are subject to "limp wrist" syndrome though... For the price, you get a really great gun..
1 x
Beware of Dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:57 pm

regular g2 has been reliable for me, reminds me I need to take it out on the next range trip been atleast a year since I shot it.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:04 pm

John_ wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:39 pm
Janik wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:39 pm
John_ wrote:
Guys who frequent firearms forums all get "that itch", trust me. I don't know why but firearms are truly my passion, and my weakness all in one.
I have like 6 AR15s, different brands and diff calibers, the majority I assembled from quality parts. I know one guy who has 19 Colt AR15s alone. Some guys have "the sickness" worse than others. I mean I can only shoot one of em at a time. And I surely only need one to defend myself ever (ok, maybe two). I will never have 8 ARs, I just cannot justify it, nor really afford it.
I have too many pistols right now, by my logic.

I know another guy on another forum who has probably 6-7 thousand dollars in comp pistols alone. He'll tell ya guns are "his crack". Whatever floats ur boat...as long as it doesn't impact ur family life whatsoever, or put u in debt or spend cash u simply cannot afford.
Yah I hear ya. I was about to buy another AR, but then convinced myself I only need the upper. I have three lowers so I'll probably buy one more when PSA has them for $129 shipped again. But after that, I'm only going to add uppers. Though a pistol 223 or 300blk is on my wish list as well. I have a bad habit of collecting multiples when I find something I like. Before Century started selling OEM parts, I was doubling up on my pistols just to have a back up. I had three V2's and sold one off, but I have three DA's and may add one more. My justification for the 4th DA is standardizing my home defense pistols that I have throughout the house. I don't drink or do drugs, so I tell my wife to not hound me about my one addiction/hobby. And she's pretty good about it so I'm grateful for that.
0 x

K-dog

Post by K-dog » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Two guys at the range had them today. They loved them and they shot great. I have a crazy CZ P-07 fetish so I wont be getting one.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member

Post by Janik » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm

K-dog wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:22 pm
Two guys at the range had them today. They loved them and they shot great. I have a crazy CZ P-07 fetish so I wont be getting one.
Just got a P07 about a month ago, love it. Going to add the P09 to my collection soon as well as the Phantom. Also just got the Kadet for my P07 and ran a variety of 22lr through it today. Most of the 8 brands I tried performed well. The P07 really is a great shooter.
2 x

K-dog

Post by K-dog » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Janik wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm
K-dog wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:22 pm
Just got a P07 about a month ago, love it. Going to add the P09 to my collection soon as well as the Phantom. Also just got the Kadet for my P07 and ran a variety of 22lr through it today. Most of the 8 brands I tried performed well. The P07 really is a great shooter.
Just got P 09 urban grey with a delta point. It points beautifully. Working on a matching 07
1 x

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:25 pm

I was shooting my friends G2S this morning. Seemed like a good enough gun with one bit caveat. For both of us, there were several failures to fire when pulling the trigger. The trigger would be depressed all the way to the rear, but the striker would not drop (no indent on primer). Pulling the trigger a second time would cause the gun to fire. This was coming both from myself, an experienced shooter and from my friend, who doesn't feel comfortable drawing a gun from the holster during practice.

He was willing to shrug it off and say "that's weird", but I wouldn't be so forgiving if it was my gun.
0 x

spen48
Founding Member #: 1269

Post by spen48 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:07 am

I was looking at the G2C to replace my 365.To be honest I have a hard time trusting the 365 with the way it chews up my mags. The pic shows my mags after 1500 rounds through the 365. I am always cleaning plastic shavings out of the gun. And Sig wasn't helpful either. They told me they know about the problem and were not planning to fix it because it doesn't effect the reliability of the weapon.

0 x

Thorsten

Post by Thorsten » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 pm

I've had my PT111 Millennium G2 for a year. Just ran another 100 rounds through it last Saturday. I keep hoping it will break so I can justify getting another single stack 9 to go with my Walther PPS M2 but... it won't break. It will jam on aluminum (never shot steel) when hot, but aside from that and a few jams and trigger weirdness (mentioned above - it would depress but not fire for 1 range trip, then never did it again) the first 2 or 300 rounds, it just shoots and has since then. Probably 1200 rounds through it by now. I also saw the $199 deal and thought... spare gun! But I'm holding out for either another PPS M2, or maybe even a G2C if the reviews hold up. The Taurus brand takes a beating but from what I can tell they sell a lot of them so there are bound to be some issues and people complaining. I just take it with me every other range trip and put 50-100 rounds of WWB through it to verify it's still ok, and it is. I also have a TCP that's finicky about HP (only likes Hornady Critical Defense) but runs pretty good on Monarch 94gr .380 steel at the range.
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:27 am

spen48 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:07 am
I was looking at the G2C to replace my 365.To be honest I have a hard time trusting the 365 with the way it chews up my mags. The pic shows my mags after 1500 rounds through the 365. I am always cleaning plastic shavings out of the gun. And Sig wasn't helpful either. They told me they know about the problem and were not planning to fix it because it doesn't effect the reliability of the weapon.

That's just not right. What do you figure is damaging the mag followers, rounds or the bottom of the slide?
0 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:24 pm

My friends sig doesnt beat up the mag's but hes broken a firing pin and instead of an indent on the primer it puts a line across it. I'll stick with my Glock for when it comes to pocket carry.
0 x