Steel

Discussion Section for Ammunition, Reloading and Handloading.
Joecaniktp9sa

Steel

Post by Joecaniktp9sa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Have you guys ever used steel casing? I impulse bought 150 of Winchester forged ammunition. I didn't even check if that's ok to use at the indoor range I go to? ( I will call tomorrow) but it looks strange. I saw some reviews that Canik can eat them fine.

Fanatiks, have you ever used this Winchester forge 115 grain.?
And I'm curious if the indoor club will allow this steel?
0 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Re: Steel

Post by higgybaby » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Seems like I read a couple posts on the old forum where someone shot up a bunch of the Win steel without issue.
1 x

Lgaam
Founding Member #: 080

Post by Lgaam » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Whether it's allowed largely will depend on the bullet trap used by the range. A lot of steel cased ammo uses bi metal jackets which can create sparks. Calling ahead is a great idea.

If your pistol is broken in, it should be fine digesting the ammo. I've never shot the forged brand, but I seem to recall that it has a reputation for being on the weaker side and fairly dirty.

I've done 150+ of Tula and Wolf in one session without any problems.
2 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:25 am

My usual indoor range doesnt allow them, I accidentally bought some, dont think I ran any through my canik though dumped them all through my Scorpion Evo no issues.
1 x

Joecaniktp9sa

Post by Joecaniktp9sa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 am

Thanks fellas, I'm gonna call them and ask about the steel case and aluminum too. I just bought these steel casings Winchester 150 for 23 dollars. It was so cheap it caught my eye. And then when I got home I looked at them and they were dirty. But I will just save them for whenever if I can't use them at the indoor gun club.
I'm just trying to find the good ammunition. For range shooting.
As you know I'm a beginner with just 100 rounds thru my wonderful Canik. I'm going next week again.
0 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 am

Should not be a problem for the Canik.
1 x
Shut up and Reload!

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 am

Almost all indoor ranges do not allow steel or aluminum cases or steel core bullets. The reason is not sparks but that they sell the captured brass and lead to refiners to get a bit more revenue and the refiners don't like to screen the steel out.
3 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 pm

I have a few "clunker" guns that I would run it through...but in my talking to folks and reading, steel case is a bit harder on the pistol than brass. 150 rounds shouldn't accelerate wear to notice anything...it's just that I am pickier with my favorite guns...
1 x
My boss said "have a nice day...", so I left work and came here. \:d/

friggenfragger

Post by friggenfragger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:48 pm

I started using USA forged for USPSA competitions the same time that I got my +5 base plates. I was having failure to feed issues occasionally, and assumed it was the base plates since I was using Factory Springs. So I reinstalled my factory base plates and continued to use the Winchester ammo and I continued to have issues on occasion, maybe one or two times per competition. It turned out that the rounds where binding against each other in the magazine causing less spring pressure on the rounds above them.
It took me about 1000 rounds to figure out what was going on because if you fired them slowly at a range they worked fine, but the rapid fire during competition seemed to cause issues, so at the range they worked flawlessly.
My friend shoots a PX4 and he had the same problems during competition(which was my fault because I was telling him how good the ammo was for the price,lol). He had to clean and Lube all the rounds so they would function properly.
1 x

Joecaniktp9sa

Post by Joecaniktp9sa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 pm

I used the Winchester forged steel 115 grain at the gun club. They were fine with steel case just not aluminum case. So used I used 95 thru my Canik TP9SA and it was highly accurate for me. Even went out to 20 meters and hit three out of five on the target.

Once I fired and it just clicked. I ejected that one and put it back in later and it fired fine. A big orange fireball shoots out with these. (Check pic)

Then I shot my FNS 9 for the first time 5 rounds of the steel and a bunch of brass Winchester white box.
And I scored my first ever perfect Bulls eye, hitting the center. This was from 9.0 meters. So it was accurate too and felt good on the grip.

Afterwards I cleaned the the Canik and it was dirtier than the first two times with other ammo but nothing that didn't clean off easily.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (420.4 KiB) Viewed 149 times
0 x

Joecaniktp9sa

Post by Joecaniktp9sa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Orange
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (202.25 KiB) Viewed 149 times
0 x