Greetings from sweden :)

Discussion section for owners of the Canik Firearm brand throughout Europe.
tbear

Greetings from sweden :)

Post by tbear » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 am

Got my SFX about a month ago, what a great gun.
Put on a red dot, shield mini sight (sms), but it's so accurate it's silly, so going back to ironsights again for a while, I like a challenge

Unfortunately there is a shooting ban on alla outdoor ranges where I live during july, and the only indoor range are open twice a week for a couple of hours at the time, so it takes time to try stuff out

https://ibb.co/n7bSUJ

https://ibb.co/c6JwOd
Last edited by tbear on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: Greetings from sweden :)

Post by Janik » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:58 am

Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted how the SFx continues to perform for you. Would also like to hear more about gun ownership in Sweden when you have time. Welcome again.
2 x

DWARREN123

Post by DWARREN123 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:29 am

Howdy and Welcome to the Canik forum!!!
1 x
Shut up and Reload!

tbear

Post by tbear » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you
Yes owning a gun in Sweden is a bit special
If you pass the hunting exam you can get up to 5 rifles without much problem. But you first have to take and pass a theoretical and practical exam, not a hard one but you have to study and train a little bit before. After that you apply for a license. Right now the handelling time for the license at the police is 14 weeks. So you buy a rifle and you have to wait 14 weeks before you can get it. But then you can keep the rifle for as long as you like, unless you are suspected for committing a crime, then they take the guns directly...

Handguns is another matter. You are only allowed to have a gun for target practice, not self defense.

You need to be active member of a shooting club, train regularly.
That is the first problem, because the gunclugs are volontary operated, so they are basically not bothered with having new members, so you have to be extremely persistent and patient to even get in to a club...

After that you meed to train for 6 months, pass a theoretical exam and shoot "gold" three times, 46 points or more at 25 m with a 22.

After that you can get your first gun, it has to be a 22, buy the gun,
Apply for a license, wait 14 weeks (actually the law says a couple of weeks, but in practice it now takes 14-16 weeks for the police) then you can get the gun from the dealer.

When you have been active for 12 months you could get a bigger caliber. Almost any type of handgun. But only for target practice/competition....
Precision, Field,PPC etc

Oh forgot to mention, the handgun license is only valid for 5 years, then you have to reapply, prove you are active, member in a club, prove that you can shoot accurately.

If you want to compete in IPSC wit an AR, then there is new courses, exams etc... I have not gone down thar route.

You are also required to have and store the guns in a gunsafe, all the time, except to and from the range/hunting

Suppressor is possible to get for hunting rifles, you need to apply for a license for the suppressor as well...

On handguns you basically can not get suppressors at all.

But to summarize anyone can get a rifle pretty easy in Sweden (no semi auto, only bolt action or shotgun), you just need to take a course, fastest is a weekend.

A handgun on the other hand is much harder, takes a lot of time and patience, it almost drove le crazy learning about all the hazzle to even get started target shooting with a gun. It is even harder near the city's because there are few places to train. Out in the country it is easier.
1 x

John_

Post by John_ » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 am

Hello and welcome !

I too picked up a SFX about a week ago. Amazingly accurate shooter, with a really nice factory trigger pull. Such a value for the price.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:19 pm

@tbear thanks for enlightening us regarding firearm ownership in Sweden. I don't think we realize how fortunate we are in the U.S. when it comes to gun ownership. Some states it's a little more difficult than others, but overall we have decent gun ownership rules. For instance, I have a conceal carry permit and can purchase anytime with it. I didn't have to take a class for my conceal carry since I served in the Army. I took my papers to our local Sheriff's office, turned in my application and after a background check, walked out with my permit. I can walk into any gun shop, pick out a gun (rifle or handgun), do some quick paperwork, pay and walk out the door. But again, some states here in the U.S. is a little different. Thankfully where I live they support gun rights. Thanks again for the information regarding gun ownership in Sweden. Hopefully someday they will make it a little easier for people there to enjoy shooting sports.
2 x

TL1000RSquid
Global Moderator
Founding Member #: 007

Post by TL1000RSquid » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Awesome info on Swede gun laws, is ammo restricted at all like no hollow points or AP? I see you shoot S&B as well how much does a box of it cost there? Last time I bought S&B it was about 9 euros for 124gr NATO S&B. Don't know if 115gr is popular over there thats only about $9 a box or 7.75 euros.
1 x

higgybaby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 015

Post by higgybaby » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Welcome to the club tbear.......

Never been to Sweden..... came fairly close once- Hamburg by water, I think Denmark got in the way. But I do drive a Volvo!
1 x

tbear

Post by tbear » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi,
Thanks for all the great responses
regarding ammo there are no restrictions regarding hollow point, but I think armor piercing is restricted.
But since its only allowed for target practice not self defense it makes no sense buying hollow point. Better to have a baseball bat next to the bed :) , if you shoot anyone you go to jail, it would be considered excessive force to shoot even a burglar in your own home.

but it's not cheap, one box of ammo is about $13,5
And that is about the cheapest ammo i could get hold of.

Actually I have a volvo as well ;) (and a Mustang to even it out a little bit)
1 x

GlennSFX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the info on your gun laws. Seems the laws are pretty restrictive...and we complain in the "People's Republic of MA"!!!

Enjoy the SFx, GREAT gun! Just picked one up a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.
1 x

Badgerboy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Founding Member #: 999

Post by Badgerboy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've been to Sweden a few times for work...one time I remember about 4 hours of dark...sun went down at 11pm and was up at 3am...
1 x
My boss said "have a nice day...", so I left work and came here. \:d/

matterandpsyche

Post by matterandpsyche » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:01 am

Great to hear from a fellow SFx owner and interesting Swede perspective
1 x