New TP9SFX owner, got a couple questions.

Focused Discussions for all Canik Firearms. (TP Series, P Series, Shark, Stingray & MKEK)
John_

New TP9SFX owner, got a couple questions.

Post by John_ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Picked up my new TP9SFX today. Really nice for the price, but the fiber optic front sight is tiny in the Warren rear U sight, width wise. Like that rear U sight opening is HUGE. Surely doesn't fit/sight like most all my other pistols. Any comments? Any solutions?

Second, the holster that came with the pistol, seems to fit well but just what do I need to attach it to my 2" belt? Seems like the holster has a bolt on "splined" coupling. Any one know where to purchase the attachment to attach the factory holster to a belt?

I searched at Canik site accessories and didn't find the holster adapter/attachment.
0 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Re: New TP9SFX owner, got a couple questions.

Post by Janik » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 pm

I think the rear notch is wider than normal due to the RMR plate. I made the comparison before that it's wider and I too get a little lost in the rear sight. I like the Warrens better on my other Caniks. In regards to the holster, it should be a paddle style holster. You attach the holster to the paddle attachment that came with it. The upper portion of the case in the lower right corner is the attachment. Here's a snapshot of my recently purchased SFx. Your case should look the same.
20180711_180952.jpg
20180711_180952.jpg (112.75 KiB) Viewed 866 times
1 x

Mgchaney

Post by Mgchaney » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Also the longer barrel of the sfx will make the front sight look smaller. Don't know if you have any other longer barreled hand guns, 5" or longer. But the sight on my elite looks bigger than the one on my sfx and they measure the same size. Just something to consider.
0 x

Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Post by Retiredtrooper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 pm

That wide rear notch and narrow front allows for speedy sight pickup/target acquisition. Great for USPSA or IDPA. If you look at guns made for buIlseye shooting, most all of them have a narrower rear notch and wider front.

The holster that Canik supplies with the gun is, for the most part, not the greatest. I used it in one IDPA and one steel challenge match and relegated it back to the box. If you're going for action pistol shooting, go for one from SMC, RedXGear, or CompTAC. I'm not sure the slots on the supplied holster will even allow a 2" belt. Most belts are either 1.5 or 1.75". If your belt doesn't fit in the slots you can always use it as a paddle rig. That's what I did, simply because the belt loops on my pants always seem to get in the way of where I want the holster to set.
1 x

John_

Post by John_ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 am

Janik wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 pm
I think the rear notch is wider than normal due to the RMR plate. I made the comparison before that it's wider and I too get a little lost in the rear sight. I like the Warrens better on my other Caniks. In regards to the holster, it should be a paddle style holster. You attach the holster to the paddle attachment that came with it. The upper portion of the case in the lower right corner is the attachment. Here's a snapshot of my recently purchased SFx. Your case should look the same.

20180711_180952.jpg
Boy do I feel like a major dummy. Yes it was under the foam on the upper section of the case, thank you Janik.

As far as the sights, I guess its just a personal preference thing. I have a Springfield XD mod2 4" with fiber optics, and the front sight fills the notch while sighting. I prefer that arrangement. I'll shoot the Canik and see how it works out, but my Springfield sights I believe to be much faster to aquire and sight accurately. My Glock is the same, fill the rear notch.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 am

John_ wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 am
Boy do I feel like a major dummy. Yes it was under the foam on the upper section of the case, thank you Janik.
Not a problem. Glad to hear all the correct parts were there. If your new to Canik, it's probably easy to overlook that foam spacer in the case. I agree with you on the sights, it's personal choice. I could see how they could be faster for competition shooting, but I'm not much of a competitor. I'm used to the tighter sight picture on the other Caniks. I think as I get more into comp shooting though, I'll probably end up with an RMR on my SFx. Keep us posted how the SFx performs for you. I'm always curious to hear from people who are new to Canik and what their impressions are as they put rounds down range.
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am

John_ wrote:
I did the same thing. Was confused for a while wondering why my Canik shipped without the upper case equipment...
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 am

ncjw wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am
John_ wrote:
I did the same thing. Was confused for a while wondering why my Canik shipped without the upper case equipment...
well now I feel a little better......... :smile:
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 am

Janik wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 am
I think as I get more into comp shooting though, I'll probably end up with an RMR on my SFx.
If your life doesn't depend on it, check out the Burris Fast Fire 3. I purchased one two weeks ago and put it on my shotgun (8 MOA). Very impressed, super sharp dot, battery replacement on the top of unit, several brightness levels, lifetime "no questions asked" warranty. < $190 delivered on ebay. I ordered another one yesterday for the Canik.

guy i purchased from, factory sealed box, had it to me in 3 days: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burris-300236- ... 2749.l2649
1 x

GlennSFX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am

According to Century Arms, the front sight can be replaced with the S&W M&P sights and the rear sight can be replaced with sights for a Glock 43.. I have the square orange Ameriglo Pro-Glo on my Sig and really like it. https://ameriglo.com/collections/smith- ... ium-fronts It's very quick to acquire. There are plenty of other "bigger" fronts to choose from.

My SFx has a Burris 8 moa and is strictly a comp gun, so I have no plans to swap sights. I did shoot well with the factory Warren sights when I first test fired the gun. The larger dot is really fast to get on target with and plenty bright for use outdoors in bright sunlight.

For a holster I'm ordering a RockeyMtnConsealment. https://smokymtnconcealment.com/collect ... on-holster I just have to decide on the proper mount to be IDPA legal. Currently I'm using the RTI system https://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/rti/ and might just go with the universal adapter plate I have. Their holster is compatible with a number of different mounting systems.

I needed something quick and dirty for a trip so I modified the supplied holster to accept my RTI mount. With a little "Yankee Ingenuity", you can make almost anything work!

0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 am

That's some good info. A factory plastic G43 rear sight can be had for $6 new. I'll try the Warrens out first.

https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-OEM-Po ... or-G42-G43
0 x