The forum will be down Sunday November 18th starting at 6pm for maintenance.

sfx reduced power recoil spring

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
jonholl

sfx reduced power recoil spring

Post by jonholl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Has anyone installed & used (broke in) the reduced power recoil spring from Century?
I've got one on the way under warranty & wonder if my sfx will handle 130pf (reduced power) loads without stove pipes & nose dives (what I get now)?
Thanks.
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Re: sfx reduced power recoil spring

Post by GlennSFX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:52 pm

I purchased my SFx a few weeks ago and must have gotten a gem! I ran 100 rounds of Fiocchi 115 FMJ and 100 rounds of Aguila 115 FMJ through the gun straight out of the box, after just a simple cleaning and lube. The PF for the Fiocchi is 138 and the Aguila is 129, both ran perfectly with no failures. I have changed over the RSA (Springco), FP, and Plunger springs. I also replaced the trigger as this is going to be strictly a comp gun. Depending on how "reduced" the RSA is from Century, you'll probably need to lighten up on the FP spring. You'll know if the gun fails to go into battery. I've read on this forum the Century RSA is still stronger that the Sprinco RSA with the white spring. I know when I swapped my springs out, it was much easier to rack the slide. With all the mods I've had zero failures, and have put no less than 1600 rounds total with 1000 post mods. Swapping the three springs ran me a little under $130. Short money for a comp gun considering the initial purchase price.

Let us know how you make out!
Last edited by GlennSFX on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Post by Retiredtrooper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Century supplied me with a reduced power RSA for my SFx when the stock setup wouldn't reliably run my match loads (147 ball @ 950fps). I tried it out and the first couple of magazines had some FTE's. After that it functioned OK, but ejection is still a bit weak. It needs some breaking in, although not as much as the stock spring. I run an RSA from a Glock 17 Gen 3 using an adaptor for a Gen 4 and a 13# spring. It's reliable 100%.
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 am

Thanks folks, guess the usual try it in your pistol & see if it works.
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 am

Thanks folks, guess it's the usual try it in your pistol & see if it works.
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Went to the range with my sfx today. I installed the Sig guide rod & 16 lb. Wolff Sig recoil spring - ala Weapon's modification.
Shot WW 124 NATO, WW 115, & a lower power reload, no problems encountered. The reload is a 147 gr. plated RN & 3.2/TG. Don't have a crono but the load was definitely lighter than either of the others & no stove pipes & nose dives as with the standard recoil spring - a couple of guys use this load in competition.
Really starting to like this pistol & the trigger has lost most of the grit.
Next mod to try is the lower power recoil spring coming from Century, hopefully it'll also run the reload.
I've got the Ghost striker spring, reduced power fp block spring, & a Freedomsmith trigger to go. I do one mod at a time, I'm not exactly "Mr. Gunsmith".
0 x

GlennSFX
Global Moderator

Post by GlennSFX » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm

jonholl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm
I've got the Ghost striker spring, reduced power fp block spring, & a Freedomsmith trigger to go. I do one mod at a time, I'm not exactly "Mr. Gunsmith".
When you're done with these mods you'll not only be VERY HAPPY, you WILL be "Mr. Gunsmith"!!! :lol:
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm

I doubt I'll ever be "Mr. Gunsmith" :sad: .

The Fedex truck showed up as I was heading out the door, so I installed the "blue" Canik reduced power RSA.

Fired 124 NATO, 115 WW, & the reduced power 147's. No problems, although the reduced power fell (ejected) at my feet :smile: . Hopefully they will "pick up" a little as the spring breaks in, wouldn't want to bet on them just yet during competition without firing a 100+ more.
Happy with the mods so far.
GlennSFX wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm
jonholl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm
When you're done with these mods you'll not only be VERY HAPPY, you WILL be "Mr. Gunsmith"!!! :lol:
0 x