Plunger Spring - Cajun vs. Ghost

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
ScoobyDoo

Plunger Spring - Cajun vs. Ghost

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 pm

So I bought a Cajun Plunger Spring after reading/listening to a few people, then I saw people talking about the Ghost Plunger Spring, so I ended up buying both since they aren't much money. Below is a picture of the Canik OEM spring, Cajun Spring, and Ghost Spring side by side.

Out of the box, my trigger is in the 5 - 5.25 lb range. After installing the Cajun spring, the pull reduced by about 10 ozs over the OEM spring. Moving to the Ghost spring, it was reduced by about 12 ozs over the OEM spring. I thought there would be a greater difference due to how short the Ghost spring was, but the weight wasn't much different. That said, to me, the Ghost spring seemed to make the trigger pull smoother than the Cajun. That is, the trigger with the OEM spring has the initial take up, then hits a near stopping point where the take up gets heavier, then finally hits the wall. With the Cajun spring, that first stopping point was reduced but it was reduced even more with the Ghost spring. The best way I can describe it is that with the Cajun spring I still noticed a bit of a stopping point but with the Ghost spring, while the pull did feel like it got a bit heavier as I went, it was at a smooth and consistent rate so that the former first stopping point wasn't really noticeable.

BTW, I did no other mods to the gun so this was a pure comparison of spring to spring. I may polish the internals later but haven't yet.

FYI - My SFX was made in July 2018 so I suffered the SDU.

Also, I placed a piece of painters tape over my punch to avoid scratching the extractor thingy you need to displace.

Oh, and FreedomSmith had triggers back in stock so I couldn't help myself and ordered one, even though I'm not sure I want a flat trigger.

1 x

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Re: Plunger Spring - Cajun vs. Ghost

Post by FrankW » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am

Hi ScoobyDoo,

I shot my FS with a FreedomSmith trigger for the first time yesterday. This is my first flat trigger and I am not sure I like it. The trigger works great but I found the right edge of the trigger was irritating my finger after a hundred rounds. I wish the edge of the trigger was a bit more round. It is probably the way I am holding the trigger and may have to make a change to my grip/finger position.

Frank
0 x

GlennSFX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm

I'm of the opinion that..."Once you go FLAT...you'll never go BACK"!!!

@FrankW ...I had a flat Apex Trigger on my Sig P320c and was having issues with stinging. Went to the Gray Guns Flat Trigger and have had no issues at all. I have the FS on my SFx and after 1300+ round with it, I've had no issues with any stinging. For me the 90* position of the trigger after it breaks feels natural. The Apex trigger went beyond 90* and had more take up.

@ScoobyDoo ...I have the Cajun spring, but also did a few other mods as well, including some polishing, so I can't speak to the pull weight change with just the FP plunger spring change. My gun out of the box was 3 lbs 10.5 oz. After the mods it was 2 lbs 6.6 oz. As far as the FS Trigger...I think you'll like it. I think it's the best trigger of all my guns!!!
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 pm

FrankW wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am
Hi ScoobyDoo,

I shot my FS with a FreedomSmith trigger for the first time yesterday. This is my first flat trigger and I am not sure I like it. The trigger works great but I found the right edge of the trigger was irritating my finger after a hundred rounds. I wish the edge of the trigger was a bit more round. It is probably the way I am holding the trigger and may have to make a change to my grip/finger position.

Frank
Frank, a little polishing/sanding might fix it for you. Not a lot, couple of strokes, try it, maybe a couple of more, etc, as needed.
0 x

OhioLefty

Post by OhioLefty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 pm

The Freedomsmith flat trigger or any flat trigger promotes a straight back trigger pull which is supposed to be ideal in shooting sports. If you feel the edge of the trigger you probably are not on the trigger properly and may have a tendency to push or pull your shots. Rounding and smoothing the edges of the trigger defeats the purpose of the flat face.
0 x

jonholl

Post by jonholl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 am

OhioLefty wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 pm
The Freedomsmith flat trigger or any flat trigger promotes a straight back trigger pull which is supposed to be ideal in shooting sports. If you feel the edge of the trigger you probably are not on the trigger properly and may have a tendency to push or pull your shots. Rounding and smoothing the edges of the trigger defeats the purpose of the flat face.
Good point.
0 x