New SF build thread

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
Ghostwolf308
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 009

New SF build thread

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Ok guys. I got myself a new SF, Freedomsmith trigger, Advanced Firearm Solutions mag well, and a set of Night Fision Sights on the way along with possibly on other part. Here I am going to document my build. I will go out and shoot some base line tests with the factory SF then upgrade it one mod at a time duplicating my tests (only for items that would make a difference). I will also be doing write ups on all parts, reviews and YouTube vids for the channel. Ill get some pics uploaded soon and get my tests figured out and in line to get my base line data.
3 x

3375 Mr Unice
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New SF build thread

Post by 3375 Mr Unice » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Sounds good Keep us "POSTED". Sorry had to.
1 x

Janik
Staff Member
Founding Member #: 001

Post by Janik » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses.
1 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Ok so here are some basic images of the stock pistol. Just because we all love looking at Caniks :D Just a standard all black TP9SF with the three dots and a line sight set up.

Image Image Image Image

I have yet to get to the range but I plan to shoot some timed drills to check split times, accuracy under pressure (speed), splits with reloads, trigger weight tests and a slow fire accuracy test. If you guys have any suggestions on tests I would love to hear them and may add them to the overall if I can. I have some parts on hand and am waiting on the sights I ordered to get here. So far I have a Freedomsmith Black on Black trigger which is a very nice piece. My initial impression is that the machining in very well done, very few machining marks can be seen at all. The coloring looks great and it comes in a nice blister pack. This will be the first flat trigger I have ever used so should be interesting and I should be able to give some good info on it after I get some use behind it.

Image Image Image Image Image
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 pm

I also have an Advanced Firearm Solutions Mag-well to test out. My first impression on this is that I am impressed that there are no machining marks. The finish on this mag-well is perfectly smooth inside and out. The finish I got was black and looks good with no visual flaws to be found. I was impressed with everything it came with in the package, as they include all the drill bits and hardware required for the installation along with a very well written set of instructions. I can't wait to get this added and start testing it.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

As I said above I am still waiting on my sights but have chosen to go with the Night Fision Perfect Dot sights. I chose to get the rear U-notch with tritium inserts but other wise black and the orange dot in the front.
https://www.nightfision.com/product/nig ... r-canik-76

I will get pics added ASAP when I get them in. Let me know again if there are any tests you would like me to do, any order of parts to put on etc...
0 x

ncjw

Post by ncjw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Just a production hint: the marble is not photogenic. Try a flat color background, even if is as simple as a sheet.
1 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm

ncjw wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:54 pm
Just a production hint: the marble is not photogenic. Try a flat color background, even if is as simple as a sheet.
Was the lightest thing I could find since everything is black. I'll see if I can find a sheet or something to use for all future photos. Thanks for the tip!
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Sights came in, should be hitting the range tomorrow for some baseline testing.

1 x

ingelheim

Post by ingelheim » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Ghostwolf308 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 pm
I also have an Advanced Firearm Solutions Mag-well to test out. My first impression on this is that I am impressed that there are no machining marks. The finish on this mag-well is perfectly smooth inside and out. The finish I got was black and looks good with no visual flaws to be found. I was impressed with everything it came with in the package, as they include all the drill bits and hardware required for the installation along with a very well written set of instructions. I can't wait to get this added and start testing it.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

As I said above I am still waiting on my sights but have chosen to go with the Night Fision Perfect Dot sights. I chose to get the rear U-notch with tritium inserts but other wise black and the orange dot in the front.
https://www.nightfision.com/product/nig ... r-canik-76

I will get pics added ASAP when I get them in. Let me know again if there are any tests you would like me to do, any order of parts to put on etc...

did you get taylor freelance mag plates to fit the magwell because mec-gar base plates won't unless you Dremel the shit out of the advance firearm solutions magwell. I did and it was a PITA. Taylor freelance base plates are +4 and they run $30+ a base. Hope this helps.
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:23 pm

I did. I ordered 2 for the mags I have. I know they will work plus gives me more ammo so win win i guess
0 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Well got some baseline numbers. Not what I wanted but they should work. Found out that my shot timer app doesn't work indoors. Anyways, when I was doing some Mozambique Drills I was averaging about 4.15sec to complete but groups weren't the best. They were good enough to get the job done but still could have been better. I then ran the same Mozambique Drills with a mag change after the first 2 rounds and got an average time of 7.506 sec. again groups could have been better but got me numbers either way. The next thing I did was slow fired around 30 rounds at about 15yds, good follow through then letting out to reset and firing from there. This is how I did

Not to bad.

After getting home from the range I couldn't help but try and install the Freedomsmith trigger that was on my bench.

Image Image
black on black, perfect for this build. Install wasn't hard at all. I think it took me about 45 minutes to completely install, most of which was fighting to get the take down lever roll pin out. After that everything went smoothly. Did some function testing and everything seems to be working fine so far. Plan on get outside this weekend and making sure she is functioning right. The plan is to try and redo the same tests with the new trigger installed and see if it changes anything. The next thing I am going to add will be the the Advanced Firearm Solutions mag-well, Taylor Freelance +4 mag extensions and the Night Fision sights. After these are installed I will run through the testing again and see if reload times improve and if the new sights work out better or not.
2 x

Ghostwolf308
Staff Member

Post by Ghostwolf308 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Well havent had a chance to get to the range since installing my Freedomsmith trigger due to starting a new job, however i have been running dry fire drills and the trigger is a night and day difference. I love the fact that there is zero take up and the trigger is smooth during the pull. Reset is also very minimal which so equal faster follow ups once I get used to the short travel. Im still hoping to get to the range soon to give it a proper testing.
0 x