TP9sfx lighter RSA

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
CoDeCo

TP9sfx lighter RSA

Post by CoDeCo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:52 pm

So, trying to figure out the RSA route, as the sprinco solution is more than I'd like to spend on this when it seems that some Glock RSA can work? Confused on if it can drop in or not? Gen 3 or 4? Seen a few things a few places but no general consensus. Having some stovepipe issues which has prompted this. Going with a reduced plunger spring and a 6lb/6.5lb striker spring. Going to order both 6lb and 6.5lb springs in case one goes better than the other. Any advice would be great!
0 x

OhioLefty

Re: TP9sfx lighter RSA

Post by OhioLefty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 am

This is what worked for me and is still working. I know this may not work for everyone and some may claim bullsh*t but I’ve had 100% reliability (approximately 1400 rounds) of range practice and five competitions after one change (striker spring). Also keep in mind my SFx was built pre SDU changes. When I first bought the SFx new in February I locked the slide back (hopefully breaking in the notorious stiff RSA) and put it away because I was shooting Glocks for past five years and was waiting for better weather to really get out and practice with the SFx. Three months later I decided to finally break out the Canik SFx and head to the range. The first 100 rounds I had a few failures to go completely into battery but only needed a slight bump on the back of the slide. Definitely not the result of an over sprung RSA so I thought maybe an over sprung firing pin spring fighting against the RSA? I had some Glock spare parts with me and decided to see how a stock 5.5# firing pin spring would work. I installed the spring at the range and it has been working perfectly every single trigger pull. No light strikes, no out of battery issues, 100% reliability. Again, I know this won’t work for everyone but what can it hurt to just shoot the gun and lock the slide back when not in use and install a lighter firing pin that suits the loads you are using? Don’t be to quick to judge the SFx out of the box, this is a fantastic shooter once it gets broken in.

Good luck!
0 x

CoDeCo

Post by CoDeCo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am

Read that somewhere else too, have the slide locked back, figured it can’t hurt. Now that inherently goes agains how springs work, but if it works who cares lol.

Definitely not disappointed or judging the gun, I already absolutely love it. Fantastic gun. It was just sprung to handle a higher powered NATO round, not our typical rounds here!
0 x

OhioLefty

Post by OhioLefty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 pm

I shoot USPSA, IDPA and some Outlaw matches and I don't reload yet. I'm estimating that I'm shooting 130 power factor loads with 100% reliability. I agree that locking the slide back goes against the physics behind the spring design but it just happened to be what I tried. I know some people have not had good reliability with the lighter 5.5# Glock stock firing pin spring but it has worked well for me in the last 1400 rounds. Not sure how much my gun being pre-SDU build has helped with my overall satisfaction but right now the trigger is pretty sweet. The only thing I want to change is the trigger take up, I have a Freedomsmith trigger shoe to try but just haven't got around to installing it yet.
0 x

CoDeCo

Post by CoDeCo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Like I said, I could care less if the physics makes sense, if it works it works!! Lol. I agree about the trigger, it’s great except for the takeup, have the freedomsmith’s trigger on the way.

Only have 350 rounds through the gun, so it’s not super broken in yet, the last 200 rounds had at least a dozen FTE. I’ve heard of people trying to run some hotter loads through it to bash the RSA into submission. If I could figure out that a gen 3 RSA works I’ll just drop one in and not worry about fighting the stock one.
0 x

Retiredtrooper
Founding Member #: 3871

Post by Retiredtrooper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Mine took about 400 rounds of hot ammo before it would even consider ejecting my IDPA loads (147gr/950), and when it finally did, I had 4 stovepipes out of 25 rounds. The rest of them barely cleared the ejection port. I'd emailed Century and they sent me a reduced power RSA free of charge. In the meantime, I went to RockYourGlock.com and ordered a SS guide rod for a Gen 3 G17/22, along with the adaptor for a Gen 4. Also ordered 2 recoil springs, one 13# and one 11#. The Glock spring setup fits nicely in the SFX. I've got it set up with the 13# which I think should work nicely. I then went to GhostInc.com and ordered a 3-pack of their 6.5# Glock striker springs. These are all installed in my gun and will be range tested tomorrow. Range report will be posted on the forum when I get back.
0 x

CoDeCo

Post by CoDeCo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Retiredtrooper wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 pm
Mine took about 400 rounds of hot ammo before it would even consider ejecting my IDPA loads (147gr/950), and when it finally did, I had 4 stovepipes out of 25 rounds. The rest of them barely cleared the ejection port. I'd emailed Century and they sent me a reduced power RSA free of charge. In the meantime, I went to RockYourGlock.com and ordered a SS guide rod for a Gen 3 G17/22, along with the adaptor for a Gen 4. Also ordered 2 recoil springs, one 13# and one 11#. The Glock spring setup fits nicely in the SFX. I've got it set up with the 13# which I think should work nicely. I then went to GhostInc.com and ordered a 3-pack of their 6.5# Glock striker springs. These are all installed in my gun and will be range tested tomorrow. Range report will be posted on the forum when I get back.
That's just what I'm looking for I believe! Had planned on a 6lb or 6.5lb striker spring as well. I'll keep an eye on the range reports, hope it works out well.
0 x

CoDeCo

Post by CoDeCo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm

May try to see if I can grab some of the Winchester NATO and beat it into submission. Just saw to try that on here.

IF that works, is there any reason to still change the firing pin spring if the RSA is staying the same?
0 x

OhioLefty

Post by OhioLefty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 am

CoDeCo wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm
IF that works, is there any reason to still change the firing pin spring if the RSA is staying the same?
If you are wanting to lighten the trigger pull, changing the firing pin spring to a lighter spring weight will lighten the trigger pull some.
0 x

CoDeCo

Post by CoDeCo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 am

I know that I can’t leave the firing pin spring stock if I change the RSA, but to confirm: it’s fine to change the firing pin spring and leave the RSA alone for now? Relatively new to changing springs around, but don’t see why that would mess anything up.

Side note I will be changing the plunger spring.
0 x

OhioLefty

Post by OhioLefty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am

CoDeCo wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 am
I know that I can’t leave the firing pin spring stock if I change the RSA, but to confirm: it’s fine to change the firing pin spring and leave the RSA alone for now? Relatively new to changing springs around, but don’t see why that would mess anything up.

Side note I will be changing the plunger spring.
My understanding and from my experience is that to light of a RSA and to much firing pin spring weight will cause failure to go into battery sometimes. Going to heavy on the RSA could cause failure to eject and possibly failure to feed, to light of weight on the firing pin spring can cause light primer strikes. Finding the right combo for a particular SFx (springs and ammo) is trial and error. Weapon (member here) has done a fantastic job sharing his own personal experiences and is a really good reference of where to start to find a better trigger that works for each individual. I use the stock RSA and a lighter firing pin spring (stock Glock 5.5# firing pin spring) without issues using factory loaded 115gr ammo (estimated 130 power factor). What works for one person and their ammo may not quite work for someone else using a different ammo. Some of the fun comes from experimenting and the rest of the fun comes from shooting a reliable running SFx.

As for the plunger spring, replacing the blue plunger spring (part of the SDU package on later SFx production) will help lighten the trigger pull weight.
0 x

NWCanik

Post by NWCanik » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:33 am

i have been playing with spring combos in my tfx. my stock tfx had the upgrade springs and was pretty heavy . my first combo was a stock glock striker spring, plunger spring and the reduced rsa. this combo worked for a while then i started getting light stirkes. i put back the stock striker spring and that solved the problem. that increased the weight of the trigger pull about 3/4 of a #. from 3 1/4 to about 4#. not happy i started measuring some springs i had. i had a stock MP striker spring. even though it was shorter than the glock one, the coils were thicker.

i put the mp spring in and so far after 1k rounds of ammo it worked 100%. deep hits on the primers . brought back the trigger to 3 1/4 # i think the number one culprit in heavy canik trigger is that new blue plunger spring. So far the reduced RSA seems to be working ok. its still too heavy in my opinion but i am too cheap to buy a sprinco
0 x

CoDeCo

Post by CoDeCo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks for all the info y’all! That helped 👍🏻

So I now have a 6lb and 6.5lb striker spring on the way along with a reduced plunger spring. I like the idea of going the same route RetiredTrooper did with the RYG setup and adapter. Once he comes back with his report on how it worked out for him with the 13lb/11lb spring that’ll probably be the way I go.
0 x

CoDeCo

Post by CoDeCo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Little update:

Just went to the range and put 400 rounds through it with. Got the RYG SS guide rod with a stock glock spring on it, which I believe is 16lbs. I have a 13lb and 11lb if I need it. Ghost INC sent me the wrong order so won't have my FBP spring and 6lb/6.5lb firing pin springs until Monday. That being said..

With only changing the RSA to the RYG kit (gen 3 with adapter) and 16lb spring. Out of 400 rounds didn't have any FTE!!! I did notice that the new RSA doesn't have any extra room to move back after lockup. Seemed to lock open fine on empty, although it did not a couple times which is probably due to me riding the slide release still. I did have a few FTF where the spent casing had extracted and the new round was caught on the ramp, not positive why that was happening. Any suggestions would be great.

Shot cheap stuff today, academy had a sale on Monarch 115 brass 9mm. Little bit of blazer brass was in there too. Blazer is what I generally shoot, and had the problems with on the stock RSA, ate it fine today!
0 x

mikeAZ

Post by mikeAZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Well, a lot of differnt approachs..... I've tried the SpringCo set up (white), the 15# Glock gen 3 w/ISMI spring, AND the Glock 6.5 # striker spring. I just cut 3 coils off the stock Canik spring for trial ... I tried the 13# Glock set up but had a few failures to return to battery, a slap on the slide and we were back in bussiness.... I believe that a 14 # spring would be near perfect.I'm shooting USPSA CO and a weekly steel match... The Canik is the best inexpensive gun I own. The Freedom trigger is a WAY nice upgrade.
1 x