*Updated* TP9SFx Freedomsmith trigger install

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
OhioLefty

*Updated* TP9SFx Freedomsmith trigger install

Post by OhioLefty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 pm

I had time today to install my Freedomsmith trigger in my TP9SFx (pre SDU).

A little background about my gunsmithing experience. I can pretty easily tear down a Glock to all the individual pieces and reassemble it with my eyes closed. I can pretty much do the same with my wife’s M&P Pro 5”. I also maintain, modify and ensure the reliable operation of our ARs and Shotguns. My wife and I have been shooting competitions for about four years and love all shooting sports so I’m no stranger to tools and modifications.

With that said, overall not a hard mod but it just takes some patience and a tiny bit of good luck.

First thing I wanted to do was release the trigger bar from the trigger. This is where I had my first little problem. I ask someone which pin held the trigger bar in the trigger and I was told the “top pin” and spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out why the trigger bar would not let go. Guess what? It’s not the top pin, it’s the bottom pin! Just tap it out far enough to release the bar from the trigger. (my fault for not watching more videos first)

After I got the little problem taken care of, I released the trigger spring and pushed out the sear block pin and removed the sear block from the frame (mine came out pretty easy).

While I had everything out, I polished a few contact points but my SFx was pretty good from the factory.

I then tapped out the trigger pin and removed the factory trigger from the frame. I installed the Freedomsmith trigger and tapped the trigger pin back into the frame. Next step is where I could have used an extra hand. Getting the trigger bar hole lined up with the hole and pin in the Freedomsmith trigger was a challenge to say the least while trying to hold it perfectly in place to push the pin through. The pin in my Freedomsmith trigger was tight and could not be pushed in without tapping with a punch and hammer. This is where you just have to be patient and keep after it. I tried using a slave pin and that is probably the best way to do it but it was pretty tough trying to do it all with just two hands. I finally got it with just a little good luck and perseverance.

I put the sear block back in the frame and reattached the trigger spring. Tapped the sear block pin back into the frame.

Reassembled the pistol and dry fired a few times. The result was a big smile on my face and a pretty consistent 3-3.25# trigger pull. Odd thing is, this mod did not increase my trigger pull like it has been mentioned in other posts. I started with about a 3.25-3.5# pull but maybe the polishing helped more than I thought it would. My SFx also has 2000 rounds on it so not much left to break in or wear in.

After some dry fire practice (approximately 150 pulls) I checked the trigger pull, consistent 2.5-3.0# pulls.

I’ll try to get out later this week and run some rounds through it before this weekends match.

One other thing I should mention, Freedomsmith puts out a quality product and responded to my questions within minutes. I got mine from eBay before the Trolls started causing him problems.

Later...
Last edited by OhioLefty on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

GlennSFX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: TP9SFx Freedomsmith trigger install and my experience

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks for sharing!
I have one on order and looking forward to getting it installed.
0 x

Jerryjj

Re: TP9SFx Freedomsmith trigger install and my experience

Post by Jerryjj » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Yep definitely the bottom pin lol. Everything went super smooth for me on my Elite except the Ambi slide release. I had to cut it off because that was the only way. I contacted Canik to see if I could get a replacement and explained to them I cut it off. Their response was “what’s your address” followed by “thanks for your continued patrionage” now I’m getting the part absolutely free. It wouldn’t have been much anyway but this was a very nice thing for them to do. Thanks for posting your struggles in hopes it helps someone else.
0 x

GlennSFX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: *Updated* TP9SFx Freedomsmith trigger install

Post by GlennSFX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 pm

Got mine installed last night...thing is AWESOME!!! :-D

Trigger pull really didn't change, down an ounce from the stock trigger, 10 pull average.
I have other spring mods too.

0 x