freedomsmith trigger like sig x5?

Modifications, Tutorials, Gunsmithing, Instructional and "How To" articles, write ups and videos.
NWCanik

freedomsmith trigger like sig x5?

Post by NWCanik » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 pm

does the freedom smith trigger change a canik into a sig x5 style
0 x

GlennSFX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: freedomsmith trigger like sig x5?

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:14 pm

I tried a guys X5 with the Gray Guns Competition Trigger Kit after an IDPA match and I think the SFx with the springs changed and the Freedomsmith trigger is nicer. I have a SIG P320 with the X-Carry grip and Gray Gun Enhanced PELT2 Trigger. It's nice for a carry gun but the trigger action doesn't compare to my Canik. The Canik is just so smooth and crisp, and has an extremely short reset. The Freedomsmith trigger get's rid of the long take-up that's characteristic of the stock trigger.

Here's a video comparing my 320 to the SFx...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owmb2puPsEQ
0 x

NWCanik

Post by NWCanik » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:52 pm

GlennSFX wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:14 pm
I tried a guys X5 with the Gray Guns Competition Trigger Kit after an IDPA match and I think the SFx with the springs changed and the Freedomsmith trigger is nicer. I have a SIG P320 with the X-Carry grip and Gray Gun Enhanced PELT2 Trigger. It's nice for a carry gun but the trigger action doesn't compare to my Canik. The Canik is just so smooth and crisp, and has an extremely short reset. The Freedomsmith trigger get's rid of the long take-up that's characteristic of the stock trigger.

Here's a video comparing my 320 to the SFx...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owmb2puPsEQ
great vid.just what i was looking for. now i gotta buy one
0 x

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Post by FrankW » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi GlennSFX,

Nice job on the video.

Do you have any ideas why I am getting a lot of trigger bite with the Freedomsmith trigger? It is mounted in my Canik SF. I am trying to find a solution before I have to remover the Freedomsmith trigger.

I seem to be the only one having this problem so anyone that might be considering the Freedomsmith trigger should not hesitate. It seems to be a great trigger but not working for me.

GlennSFX, I added that last paragraph to make sure I don't discourage anyone from buying the Freedomsmith trigger. I just wish I could resolve this trigger bite problem in my gun.

Frank
0 x

John_

Post by John_ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Nice video Glenn. Ur SFX trigger kicks Sig butt! And most all other striker fired handguns, very short reset.
0 x

GlennSFX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by GlennSFX » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 pm

FrankW wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:13 pm
Do you have any ideas why I am getting a lot of trigger bite with the Freedomsmith trigger? It is mounted in my Canik SF. I am trying to find a solution before I have to remover the Freedomsmith trigger.
Hi Frank..."Trigger Bite" is a subjective thing.

I originally installed an Apex Flat trigger in my Sig. I had over 800 rounds through it with the stock trigger before installing the Apex. As soon as I shot the gun with the Apex I was experiencing some trigger bite. Not bad, but enough were I wasn't enjoying dumping a couple hundred round downrange at a whack. I tried adjusting my grip and trigger finger position, but couldn't get rid of it completely. Posted on the Sig forum and it was one of those things were some people didn't experience any bite, some a little and other that didn't like the trigger. I decided to install the Gray Guns trigger and have NO trigger bite at all with it. Now the Apex trigger was a little wider, didn't break right at 90*, and has a rounded bottom edge to it.

I was visiting my brothers in NC last week and brought the SFx with me. Went gun shopping with my daughter, who's living there now, and bought her her first handgun, a Glock 19. She had her CC here in MA, and has a fair amount of trigger time under her belt. She's planning on taking her class there in a few weeks. Anyways there were 8 of us that went to an outdoor range with a few different guns, my SFx, daughter's Glock, Sister-in-laws PPS and a few others my brothers had, Shot all of them without any issues, except my brother's Kahr PM9. It's a very small sub-compact, and the first time I shot it, I though my finger got smacked with a ruler! Brought back memories of my Catholic education days. :lol: Talk about trigger bite...this thing was nasty. After one mag, I was done. Yet my daughter shot it and said it wasn't too. My other brother shot it and had an experience more like mine.

So...is there some magical words of wisdom I can give to fix it, not really. Have you tried shooting it with one hand, strong hand, support hand? Just curious to see if a little different grip, and different hands, changes what you're experiencing. Try a real firm support hand grip with a looser strong hand grip so your trigger finger is more flexible. What are you shooting for ammo? Have you tried a few different types. I've shot 115 and 147 grain without any issues.

Wish i could be more help but my Sig with the Apex was the first time I had any experience with trigger bite with any of my guns.
0 x

FrankW
Founding Member #: 013

Post by FrankW » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi GlennSFX,

Thanks for your time and response. I have shot it two different times using different ammo. The lower powered ammo didn’t bother me as much but still uncomfortable. I usually shoot 100/150 at a time. As time goes on I am anticipating the trigger more than I am concentrating on my shooting. I am shooting the same ammo that I used with the stock trigger and there was no problem with that trigger.

I have asked for help on the forum but no one offered any well help. I am afraid I am going to have to reinstall the stock trigger. I Emailed Freedomsmith but they weren’t any help. They did volunteer to refund my money. I hate to give up the Freedomsmith trigger

Frank
0 x